School governors share a commitment to supporting our school to be as effective as it can.
They do this by:
- setting the school’s strategic direction
- holding school leaders to account for improving the pupils’ education
- making sure the school’s budget is well spent for
There is free training, advice and guidance to governors available through Kirklees and the school. We also help recruit new volunteer governors for schools.
Our Governors attend regular meetings; some in the evening and some during the day. They talk to staff and children, discuss policies and ideas and monitor the budget.
Some come from professional backgrounds and others bring their knowledge and life experiences.
Our Governors, together with the rest of the school leadership and staff ensure that school does everything that it can to prepare all of our children for a successful and productive life in Britain in the 21st Century.
If you would like more information about the role, please contact the school.
Please click here to access information about Governor attendance.
Please click here to access the register of business interests.
Mr Aejaz Laher - Chair of Governors/Co-opted Governor
I have been teaching for 19 years at Garforth Academy. My current role involves being an Assistant Principal and a Specialist Leader in Education (SLE) for Applied Learning, working across SPT Academies such as South Leeds and Manor Croft. I have previously been a governor at BBEC for five years and a governor at Purlwell for the past seven years, acting as Chair of Governors since September 2014.
Mrs Safeena Nazam (Headteacher) - Co-opted Governor
Mr Zubair Chotia - Parent Governor
Mr Idris Hussain - Parent Governor
Mrs Nicola Shaw - LA Appointed Governor
Miss Leanne Hinchliffe - Staff Governor
Mrs Kulsum Vahed - Co-opted Governor
Mrs Khatija Lunat - Co-opted Governor
Mrs Zulekha Badat - Co-opted Governor
Dr Frances McGregor - Vice Chair/Co-opted Governor
Mrs Sarah Palmer - Co-opted Governor
Mrs Alison Houlker - Associate Governor
Governing Body Minutes
Academic Year 2020/2021
Academic Year 2019/2020
- Governing Body Minutes 18th November 2019
- Governing Body Minutes 17th March 2020
- Governing Body Minutes 21st May 2020
- Governing Body Minutes 16th Sep 2019
Academic Year 2018/2019
- Minutes of meeting held 10th June 2019
- Minutes 26 11 18
- Minutes 25 03 19
- Governing Body Minutes 2 Jul 18
- Governing Body Minutes 17 Sep 18
- Minutes of meeting hel on 25th September 2017
- Minutes of meeting held on 27th November 2017
- Minutes of meeting held on 19th March 2018
- Minutes of meeting held on 10th July 2017
- inutes of meeting held on 14th May 2018
- Minutes of meeting held on 27th March 2017
- Minutes of meeting held on 23rd January 2017
- Minutes of meeting held on 22nd May 2017